Thursday 19 April 2012

Mystery Solved,

Many thanks to Jeff Morgan of PhotoPlus magazine for spotting that my camera was in Exposure Simulation mode, which was why the screen was black and then went back to normal with the Flash raised.

I think it goes like this, I had an f-stop of 11 and a shutter speed of 100 (this was to stay well below the shutter sync speed, and give a reasonable depth of field), so naturally the image would be very dark, which wasnt a problem as I was using Flash.  However as I had Exposure Simulation on, the camera was showing me what my final image woiuld look like (without flash), i.e. black.

However Exposure Simulation  seems to be switched off when you raise the internal flash.  In fact if you look at the two images in my last Blog post on the topic, you can see that the "Exp SIM" (bottom right corner of the camera screen) is greyed out on the image with the flash up.  So the camera shows the scene without any attempt at simulating the exposure so its clearly visible.

Exposure simulation can be set on or off through the menu system, so no need to mess around with the internal flash at all.

Thanks Jeff.

Peter.


Don't forget you can follow me on Twitter Flickr Web

No comments:

Post a Comment