Sunday 22 April 2012

Ironic Heron

I live on the edge of a nature reserve (Paxton Pits), and one nice byproduct of this, aside from the ability to be in the reserve within two mins walking, is that some of the residents make it out and visit our feeders, or fly over  our house (Geese, swans, gulls, Buzzards, Red Kites etc).  The reserve had a good Heronry when we moved here 20 years ago, which to me seems to have been usurped by Cormorants in recent years.

Still, while walking my dog around the reserve there I found a couple of spots where there is a regularly a Heron hunting, unless of course I have my camera with me, which is pretty pointless with the dog as he scares everything within half a mile.  So I’ve been nipping out when I can, several times a week to try and get a pic of a Grey Heron, either hunting or more likely flying away.
So imagine my surprise when my wife  calls me into the garden saying she thinks a Heron has landed on our neighbours roof (yeah right).  Anyway, I pulled myself away from the football and wandered out with my Canon G11.  Amazingly there actually was a Grey Heron, sitting bold as brass on our neighbour’s roof! 
I took a couple of shots then ran in and dug out my 7D and Sigma 120 400mm lens and ran out again.  The bird decided at that point that it had to go, and flew off over my head and away.  I managed to get a few shots off with the 7D but it was all a bit rushed. 



Feeling really lucky to have seen and photographed it, but I bet it’s not hunting when I look for it tomorrow!



Don't forget you can follow me on Twitter Flickr Web

No comments:

Post a Comment