Friday 2 December 2011

Locusts!!!!!!!!

Now the nights have drawn in, the opportunities for photography are reduced.  So, wanting something to do, I purchased a tub of locusts from a local pet shop (that was a strange moment, "what type of reptile do you have?" um...... ).

I invited some friends over and we set up one studio light with softbox, a twig, a co-operative locust and spent the evening trying Macro photography. 

I used a Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro lens I bought earlier this year, but had used more for portraits than macro. 

Its really not that easy to get good results, getting a sharp image is one thing, getting a good composition whilst getting a sharp image is another thing altogether.

Still I enjoyed the effort, and am happy with the results, though can't help feeling there's a killer shot I haven't figured out yet!

Work in progress.



Quick tip, if you try this yourself, you might want to put them in the refrigerator for a few minutes to slow them down a bit.

You can see some more on my photostream Flickr

No comments:

Post a Comment