Thursday 26 September 2013

Duxford War Museum, frustrating

I managed to get a couple of hours in the Duxford war museum and thought I'd be able to get some nice photos.  Sadly, as with a lot of museums, the urge to cram as much stuff in for display, ultimately detracts (in my opinion) from many of the exhibits.

I guess I have to recognise that the role of the museum is to preserve and display stuff, but in cramming so much in, all sense of scale is lost. As is any chance of getting a good photo of  a plane without it being half covered by the wing of another, or having another planes prop growing out of it!

I somehow felt sad when looking down on a Vulcan that seemed to "shrink" with all the other stuff wedged around it, as did Concorde and a Lancaster.  I know its a big ask, but would less actually be more? would these exhibits be more impressive if given the space to.. breathe or show off?

Would the Venus de Milo be as impressive surrounded by other works a few inches away, or under the arm of another sculpture? Would the Mona Lisa still shine if on a wall with 30 other works a few inches away?

Anyway, they do a great job of restoration and I know its expensive to display this stuff and they need to maximise the space they have, so rant over.

To get an idea of what I mean about being crowded, click on the panorama below.

Panoramic view inside the Hangar at Duxford War Museum.


No comments:

Post a Comment