Tuesday 9 April 2013

Canon Powershot G11 Compact Lives Again

My Canon G11 has had more than its fair share of use and abuse, typically going places that my prized DSLR kit doesn't go for fear of damage.  So it didn't surprise me when the screen turned everything orange after being in my rucksack on a particularly cold ski trip (it might've been the temperature or when I crashed out!).  It was still usable and I stuck with it.

Latterly though the big jog wheel on the back was beginning to play up, often needing to go round several times before it registered any movement and often the setting I was adjusting went the wrong way.  The wheel is used for many functions from scrolling between images in playback mode, to setting Shutter, Aperture and Exposure mode.  For me it was kind of a critical problem.

So it was looking like to would be time to bin it and buy a replacement.  But here's the thing, I've kind of got attached to it.  I've taken some great shots with it, shots that have scored highly in competition, (most recently a Highly Commended in Photoplus magazine), and images that I'm personally pleased with.  I also know how to get a good shot out of it and have often gone out with it when my friends have taken their DSLR's (Recent trip to Canary Wharf comes to mind).

So what to do.  I got the idea to "Google" the jog wheel issue to see if it was a common problem and whether anyone was doing repairs (and if so how much).  Well I wasn't disappointed.  I found a video on Youtube (watch it here) that showed a workaround AND a fix that takes no time at all to do (and works great).

That set me thinking, so I had another "Google" this time for screen replacement, and sure enough I found another video on Youtube (Watch it here) that shows how to do it.  I found a new screen for £25, and fitted it myself (a bit fiddly but not too bad) and I'm pleased to report the G11 is working perfectly.

Fully functional Canon Powershot G11 with shiny new screen fitted.
It never ceases to amaze me what an amazing resource the Internet is.  It also amazed me that I nearly dumped an expensive piece of kit for fear of high repair costs.  A lesson has been learned.


My thanks to Digitalkamera Reparatur for the screen repair info (lots of other repair guides there too) and Hungrygary for the jog wheel fix.






No comments:

Post a Comment